Saturday, January 31, 2015

New Nest Cam on Great Horned Owls -- Currently on Hatch Watch!

Great Horned Owl at Botany Bay Wildlife Management Area, SC -- July 21, 2013 -- Photo by Pam Ford

Great Horned Owl Alert!  Nest Cam Alert!  Hatch Watch Alert!  Gee, I do not know where to begin!   How I admire this magnificent, elusive bird!  Though we had a family nesting in the vicinity of the house last year, I rarely saw them.  I did hear them though nearly every night and early in the mornings.  Such a beautiful haunting call.  So close and so hard to observe or photograph!  I thank friend and fellow birder Pam Ford for the above photo  to illustrate this post.

But now thanks to Skidaway Audubon near Savannah Georgia (as well as a host of web cam sponsors including Cornell Lab of Ornithology the Wildlife Resources Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources), we can have live views into a Great Horned Owl Nest!   The eggs are expected to hatch VERY soon!   It is the best view of a wild Great Horned Owl that I have ever had!  Check out the nest cam (here on the Skidaway Audubon site or here on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology site) and the impressive story behind Skidaway Audubon's nest cam and the arrival of the owls.  Be sure to scroll down on the page on the latter link to see stills and videos of the camera installation & repairs and of the owls' courtship prior to egg laying.   Just think, we will soon be able to see those big-eyed fuzzy owlets!  I am on the edge of my nest in anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment