Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lesson: Do NOT Leave the Camera at Home!

             When I go to James Island County Park, which is about a mile from my house, my goal is always to stretch my legs and get some exercise in a more inspiring setting than my neighborhood.  Yet, sometimes I realize that a less inspiring location might help me to focus more on the goal of EXERCISE!  The scenery over the Stono River and the wildlife often provide wonderful photographic opportunities.   But if I take the camera, I do not get much exercise because I pause too much in my attempts to photograph the wildlife.  And yet, when I leave the camera at home, I also often regret it because then I miss a fabulous wildlife shot!  For example, this Spring, Carl and I decided to go for a walk in the park for EXERCISE!  When quizzed by Carl on the camera, I said that I was not going to take it which meant that I would probably miss a great wildlife shot like the Pileated Woodpecker that was feeding on the ground 30 feet from me the last time I left the camera at home.  Of course, we also know that taking a camera is no guarantee of a great wildlife shot.  Because we both really wanted to walk vigorously, we agreed to leave the cameras at home.  Carl, however, did bring his little video camera -- lucky for us!  --  because of course, we came across, not one, but a whole family of Pileated Woodpeckers -- right in front of us!  Here is the video that he captured and edited!  Enjoy!



Video by Carl Miller -- James Island County Park -- May 13, 2012

             Ah!  When I think of the photos we could have had!  So, the camera must go EVERYTIME .... or, I should walk in the neighborhood instead of the park.  Naaah!

                

No comments:

Post a Comment