Friday, March 23, 2012

November Morning Light on Captain Sams Spit & Bird Banding Too! -- Part 2

         Last week, I posted Part 1 of this series on my November early morning to Captain Sams Spit on Kiawah Island. If you have not yet seen that post, this photo represents a bit of that first wonderful part of my morning.

Shorebird Patrol at Dawn -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

         The pinks of the sunrise soon faded, then brightened to the more familiar daylight tones and I decided to cross the dunes to check on Aaron and his birding crew, to see if they needed my help yet.  They had just finished setting up the nets and took me back to a new location for the bird banding the table, now set up in a sunny location due to the seasonal drop in temperatures.  The new area was located close to the Kiawah River, and thus, another wonderful photographic opportunity presented itself.  Before the sunlight warmed the marshes to equalize the temperatures of the air, water, mud and marsh, a mist was rising. 

Mist over the marshes of the Kiawah River -- November 12, 2011


         After a half an hour, we went out to search the nets and brought back a few birds which were quickly processed.  I knew from this first sortie to the nets that this would be indeed another light bird banding day. Thus I confirmed with Aaron, that with his wife and his two other volunteers,  they could easily man the nets.  He promised to call me if it became hectic.  I then permitted myself to explore a bit more this area, the riverside of the spit.  Again, the effects of the early morning light fascinated me as it lit up different grasses wet with dew.  This area also reminded me of the marshes, the creeks and the fields of my childhood stomping grounds in the neighborhood where I grew up on James Island.  Again, I felt that delightful sense of kinship with the place.

Morning light on dew on grasses -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

Morning light on dew on grasses -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

Dew on grasses -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

Light on morning dew and grasses -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

Dew on grass -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011
 
             As the sun rose higher, life along the river caught my attention.  A dolphin fished close along the bank, but was always too fast for my shutter finger.  Terns fished over the river, and a then, a line of Brown Pelicans flew by, moving up the river following multiple single Double-Crested Cormorants, which had already passed by.

Brown Pelicans over Kiawah River -- November 12, 2011




 Tree Swallows danced over the river hawking insects and sipping water.

Tree Swallows -- Kiawah River -- November 12, 2011

          I captured a few birds in the brush, such as these sparrows and this House Wren.

House Wren -- Kiawah Island -- November 11, 2011

Savannah Sparrow -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

Song Sparrow -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

 And though I did spend a good portion of the morning exploring the riverside, the marsh and the brush, I did also capture images of a few birds in the hand as well!


Golden-Crowned Kinglet -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet -- November 12, 2011
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet closeup -- Look at those eyelashes!  -- Kiawah Island -- November 12, 2011

          What a simply wonderful morning from start to finish!  Indeed, I was not so very helpful with the banding this time.  But, I did enjoy the opportunity to see and photograph this lovely stretch of sand and some of the wildlife that inhabits it and uses it as a stopover, refueling area.   I felt privileged to be there, to watch, listen, photograph and also to learn more about the birds in that beautiful November morning light.  I wholeheartedly thank my birding buddy, Aaron Given, for this occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment