Monday, July 14, 2014

Look What Hurricane Authur Blew In -- One Week Later!

Pomarine Jaeger -- Breach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island -- July 12, 2014

           Yes, those sea-going fellows are rugged and handsome, n'est-ce pas?  Personally, I never expected to see one of these guys on shore, so up close and personal.  And yet, here he is, a Pomarine Jaeger, Life Bird number 357, on the beach at Breach's Inlet on Sullivan's Island!  This bird winters off of our coast but is highly unlikely to be here during summer months.  Also, this is a bird that lives at sea -- only coming ashore to nest -- and certainly not here.  So, why is he here?  The theory holds that he is a storm bird -- injured by Hurricane Authur.  Sure enough, though he does fly, he only flies short distances.

           Being in the middle of an all-consuming project the last few days, I was not sure that I should leave the house to chase this bird when I first learned of it from a fellow birder via e-mail on Friday.  But after talking to Craig Watson, who spotted the bird first and then found it again, I decided that this was a birding event that I could not pass up.  With the deadlines that I faced, it just meant that I might lose a little sleep later.  Someone said that sleeping is over-rated.  I tend to disagree -- unless I am chasing birds!

           Just before I arrived at Breach's Inlet, Craig, on the Isle of Palm (IOP) side, called me to let me know that the Pomarine had flown to the Sullivan's Island side of the inlet.  I found the bird  immediately and sat down on the beach within 20 feet of the bird and began clicking away.   The picture below show Pam Ford and Craig Watson watching me and the bird across the inlet.

Pam Ford and Craig Watson on Isle of Palms side of Breach's Inlet -- July 11, 2014


Pomarine Jaeger -- Breach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island, SC -- July 11, 2014


Pomarine Jaeger -- Breach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island, SC -- July 11, 2014


Pomarine Jaeger -- Breach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island, SC -- July 11, 2014


Photo showing scar on left leg of Pomarine Jaeger -- Breach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island, SC -- July 11, 2014

             Pam and Craig eventually joined up with me on the Sullivan's Island side of the inlet to watch our unusual visitor.  Andy Harrison also soon arrived.  This was a life bird for Andy, Pam and myself!  You can see PJ the Pomarine in the photo below on Craig's right.

Andy Harrison, Pam Ford,  Craig Watson & PJ -- Breach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island, SC -- July 11, 2014
             I apologize to my readers for the delay in posting this magnificent find.  Again, this project and the deadlines have hindered me a bit.   And to think that I almost passed on chasing this bird!  Silly me!  I am still stoked about seeing this handsome and rugged guy!  I send my heartfelt thanks to my fellow birders who alerted me to this bird and then who encouraged me to get my rear in the car to join in the chase!  Thanks guys!  You rock!  It was great sharing this with you!
 
One last shot of PJ exercising his wings -- Pomarine Jaeger -- Beaach's Inlet -- Sullivan's Island, SC -- July 11, 2014 



No comments:

Post a Comment